Sunday, November 8, 2009

Olivier Sarbil

Today I thought I would do something totally different and take a look at a photo journalist war time photographer. This is something that I have little to no exposure to so I figured that it is something worth looking at. Olivier Sarbil is a Bangkok based photographer that works for the Associated Press and does assignments in mainly South East Asia. I came across him randomly while looking around on lens Culture. His images exhibit an unusual and haunting beauty that is both amazing to look at, and difficult because of the heavy subject matter. His impressive use of light elevates the photos to a new level above standard war photography.




I think that why I am drawn to these is that I know that this is one form of photography that I will most likely never get to experience, mainly out of choice. While it is some individuals calling to document such darkness and tragedy, I'm sure that I do not share the same fate. That's why these images are so interesting to myself, and so many people. It's clear that Sarbil has a real passion for what he does, and the people that he photographs. The time and care put into each image speaks for itself. I have a lot of respect for someone who goes out and risks their life for photographs, because I'm not sure I could. I love photography, but after looking at images like Sarbil's and others it kind of puts it into perspective weather or not I truly love the camera, weather or not I would die for it. Scary

No comments:

Post a Comment