Thursday, October 1, 2009

Idea

So I've been thinking about another project to do in addition to what I have been doing so far. Like a bonus project! I feel that I have enough time to continue on with the windows and the Gmaps as well as one other project. I'm not 100% sure yet but I feel that this will not be ultimately what I decide to do for the final portfolio, but it is another avenue of exploration to keep my mind rolling. Lately I have felt that it is completely necessary to keep my mind busy in order to be able to continue to produce successful work.

I have been thinking a lot about why I chose photo over any other more study oriented major. In high school I was always interested in physics and chemistry but when it came time to decide what it was I was going to choose, it just didn't feel right. I often try to imagine how different my life would be had I have chosen a science major over art. The list of differences is enormous and would basically effect every part of my current life, from where I live, to what I would have done during the summers, to my girlfriend and roommates. Who knows, I could have even gone to a different school like tech, and been there at the wrong moment.

It's daunting to me how one decision as small as it may be can effects virtually everything for the rest of your life. So from here I plan to make a personal study. The other day I was in the library studying for a Sociology test when I ran into an old friend from my high school guitar class. I haven't talked to him in years and as it turns out he is majoring in some kind of science because he was there studying genetics. As a way of trying to realize the differences of our lives and the possible path I could have chosen I am going to meet up with up and photograph him and any of his friends that are willing to participate. I hope to be able to apply these portraits to my self and be able to insert myself into that way of life and thinking. Possibly form there making a entire series of myself in different roles and different majors.

I'm not planing on putting an excessive amount of time into this side project but I think it will serve as a good exploration of myself and into people in general, whom which I usually do not photograph in my art work.

No comments:

Post a Comment