Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hiroshi Sugimoto

Recently I have come across some new work but a favorite artist Hiroshi Sugimoto. His 2008 series Lightning Fields was new and exciting to me and I felt that it was worth mentioning.





When I saw these prints I imminently thought of the processes and techniques class last semester. I often list him as one of my primary influences and seeing the similarities between this work and the glow stick work i did in processes was a real treat for me. Sugimoto wanted to re-create the major discoveries of scientific pioneers in the darkroom to be able verify these discoveries with his own eyes. He discussed scientists such as Franklin and Faraday and their discoveries of the way electricity works and it's possibly applications. Using dry plates in the dark room he was able to capture theses electrical currents in vivid detail.

The simple elegant beauty of this work can be seen in all of his pieces. From the oceans to the theaters his work has always been amazing to look at, especially in person. He has a way of taking a large scale, deep concept and expressing it in a simple manner. They can be viewed and enjoyed on a surface level and admired for their technical perfection, but the concepts are brilliant enough to cause you to really think about what he is presenting. Are they just sweet pictures of electricity? Or are they something way deeper than that? Both conceptually and ascetically Sugimoto has continued to be a major source of inspiration and general excitement about art and the artistic process.

No comments:

Post a Comment