Thursday, February 11, 2010

Idea

Spaces are a huge part of my work. They are what I look for, what I think about, what fulfill me as a photographer. They are the core of my work. They are what have got me as far as I have. When I think of a shot I think of a space I envision the area. But what is a space? Why does this word continue to resurface constantly in my work? Well I think its time to define what this 'space' phrase really means to me as a photographer.

Ever since I purchased my first Cybershot ten years ago I've been a photographer. I feel that since that day I have viewed the world differently from others around me. It can stop me dead in my tracks sometimes seeing a shot. People can look but they don't always see what I see. It's just a wall, a parking lot, a window, but to me it has always been so much more. It's always been hard for me to justify what and why I photograph the things I do. The best way to put it is that it is just a feeling, a click, like when a cook knows when his steak is seared to perfection. I have thousands of photos saved dating back to the first Cybershot days, to the 5d days of recent. Recently I went back and examined a lot of my old photos and was surprised by how much I have grown, and at the same time how much I am still the same person. My style has never changed, it has only been refined.

So space. I think what I look for in a place I want to photograph is that all of the elements work together. That I can control each and every aspect of the area with making it look too much like I am. I'm attracted by light, line and cleanness in a space. A space has to have atmosphere, a vibe. When I enter a space it immediately becomes apparent that I need to photograph it. I think this is a large part of what my new work is all about. Where as before I would try to capture the entire space in full through wide angle now I am much more selective. I've become even more picky by cropping out the extraneous areas. This is a natural progression that I think will only progress as time goes on. I'm looking forward to cropping, choosing and blocking out space to continue the search for the perfect...space. I'm going to stop saying space now. Here are two 10 year old images:

No comments:

Post a Comment