Sunday, March 28, 2010

Idea


It's been brought to my attention by several peers that barriers are a reoccurring theme in my recent work. While I've been conscious of the window type barriers I've never really taken into thought that the images are made up of essentially different ways of blocking off what is visible. The line is mainly responsible for this as it separates and blocks off different sections, creating the tension between different areas. This is subconsciously search for when I shoot. I feel like I do not take the time enough to stop and think why it is that I photograph such strong lines. It's obviously a huge part of my work, people know me for this, when they think of my photography they think of structure.

Barrier is a word that I have never really thought about though in terms of my work. These barriers are so visually strong in my work that often people ask if the images have been photoshoped, if they are a composite of different planes and images.



There's no denying that recently my work has become more and more visually consistent. The barrier has many forms, but is definitely present in every scene. Weather its in the form of a window, a snow drift or a balcony it is always there. I think when it comes down to it I just don't like to give the viewer the full image. The barrier creates a mystery as if something is being held back, it is my way of painting with the photograph. I get to choose what is seen and what remains hidden as the photographer, and more often then not I choose to section off. I think people are starting to notice the barrier because recently the work has dramatically been simplified. It has shifted from the more overloaded window shots the the simpler concentrated work seen above. The barrier is an important part of my work and is something that since my last critique will be much more conscious in how and when I use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment