Thursday, September 3, 2009

A place to start

Now that I got this whole blog thing (and when there due) figured out I can finally spit out some of my ideas. I think that I have been taking the idea of 'one project to rule them all' too literally so far. I've been trying to nail down a path and parameters within individual ideas but I realized that there is no point in that. Sure I need to have goals and plans, but I need to not think of it in terms of I can do this project or that project. I know that all the projects I have done in the past have a similar theme that runs between them, weather it be conceptual or a formal quality. Its time to start thinking about my work as a whole and not a string of projects, because then it is too easy to get caught on little things. I just feel like I get too focused on a final product and completely forget about the process, obviously a very serious thing to forget about. The process is by far the most important part and since I am a goal oriented person, it can become easy to forget this

I also have had a little trouble pushing myself to shoot a lot. I'm a really technically oriented person and good equipment is very important to me. Lately I've felt held back by my camera and really I'm just kinda bored with it. I've had if for over three years now and I feel like it has served it's purpose with me. I'm ready to move on, so that's why I decided to buy a new camera. I'm not trying to say that my work is dependent on technology or even the camera itself, but I get incredibly frustrated when my camera cannot produce technically the results I have envisioned. I really think this is a large part of my slight motivational issues. I know that having a new camera will give me an added boost and cause me to really want to go out and shoot, and that will in turn make my work stronger. New images to come!


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking about how Google Earth is used, people consider it to be very factual, very REAL. Perhaps it is some of the most true documentary photographing mechanisms left, it is essentially just a van with a camera in it continually making photographs without any concern to aperture, composition, concept, or subject right? Well I've also heard of people finding out when said van will be making images, setting up scenes, posing, etc. I read this article, and thought about how we depend on photographs to give us accurate depictions and how wrong that is... HOW TO DO THINGS WITH PICTURES, by William J Mitchell, from his book The Reconfigured Eye: Visual Truth in the Post-Photographic Era (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1994)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ::ahem::
    I never finished that comment I guess, sorry-
    I thought this reading could be useful to you, you can find it online by searching, but I got it off this blog, which I am now reading each of the assigned texts, they are all lovely,
    http://photography-and-after.blogspot.com/
    you can find the reading online here,
    http://www.stanford.edu/class/history34q/readings/Mitchell/MitchellHow.html
    It explores the truth within the history of photography, the way titles have an effect on how images are perceived, and the belief that photographs represent something real.

    ReplyDelete